Monday, July 07, 2008

more bootcamp and l.a.

I successfully finished my bootcamp last Thursday, and then joined another one for the next two weeks. This one is a smaller version, composed of grad students I met through the official one. We're keeping the same schedule: meet and write from 9-1, and then from 2-5. So now I finally know what it's like to work full-time, or at least keep a full-time schedule. I need to leave the house by 8:15. I get home around 5:45. I pack a lunch, which I haven't done in ages.

I like the regularity of it but am still adjusting to this comparatively more rigid schedule. I'm also still figuring out when to squeeze in the chores, errands, exercise, cooking, church stuff, time to relax, time with hubby, and time with friends. This is the third week of keeping this schedule and it seems like a routine is finally settling in, which is making the "J" part of me much happier.

After the first week, my response was: how do you people who work full-time do it?! I was so tired and felt like I had no time to do anything. Now, I'm actually enjoying compartmentalizing my life into discrete segments of time.

Besides the bootcamp, I also visited LA two weekends ago to co-host a baby shower for my dearest Gracie and her husband. It was also a chance to hang out with my family, since I hadn't seen my parents since Christmas. Here are some pics:

My dad and I tried this Japanese udon place that's right around the corner from our home. Apparently there's this "Japanese corner" filled with all sorts of authentic Japanese restaurants, a bakery, and a coffee shop. The udon place didn't even have an English menu posted outside. It was the best udon I've ever had (and I'm usually not a big udon fan).

my grated radish udon

curry udon

Joyce and I making favors for the baby shower

mommy-to-be Grace

poopie diaper game--yech!

the favors were lemonheads with pacifier charms, since Grace craved citrus-y flavors the most during her pregnancy

Afterwards that night, we had dinner with the expecting couple and also Grace L and Alice, both of whom I hadn't seen in awhile.

All in all, it was really nice seeing old friends and catching up!

1 Comments:

Blogger Joseph said...

Working full time IS indeed quite tiring. However, I'm surprised that you haven't transitioned to it. Around the 3rd year of my pursuit of the degree I started to treat it like a job. That was the only way to stay sane and keep up a steady pace until completion.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home