Wednesday, June 21, 2006

mishmash

Today is the Summer Solstice, the longest day of sunlight every year. Makes me think of one of my favorite poems, "Epithalamion" by Edmund Spenser (Renaissance poet). It has an intricate rhyme scheme and is actually a Greek wedding poem that uses the summer solstice as its setting in interesting ways. In an alternative life, I would want this poem read at my English-Sense-and-Sensibility-style outdoor garden wedding, but that's not going to happen. The poem is rather long anyway, but so beautiful. Read it if you get a chance.
...
I was really sad that Dallas lost. I originally wasn't rooting for either team, but it didn't hit me how much I had started to like Dallas until I saw the Heat win. The gangly German with the scruffy hair has really grown on me. I think it's because he's German, and you all know how Eurocentric I am.
...
I just found out that I am about to be published...how weird and unexpected and cool is that?! It turns out that this short paper I wrote in my first year at grad school will make it into an anthology edited by the prof of that class. I'm really thankful and excited...it's all God and not me at all.
...
Weekend was a blast with Luke and Andy. Watched three movies and ate out A LOT (too much meat for me). I always love it when LA friends come to visit. Here are some pictures:

Joy and me at Left Bank

all of us at Golden Gate Park

Byron and his buddy Andy

2 Comments:

Blogger karen said...

wow, look at byron all dressed up. a couple of years ago, he would have never dressed like that. good job! :)

and more congratulations! being published... wow!

11:40 AM  
Blogger joy said...

published? wow, congrats! i feel like i know a famous person. =)

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home