de Young Museum
Byron and I finally made our way to the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park. There was a special exhibition on the Arts and Crafts Movement, and being a Victorianist, of course I had to visit.
Unfortunately, we couldn't really take any pictures in the exhibit itself, so what I've shown here are from the general collection. While I'm glad I went to this exhibit, I thought it was okay. I don't think Arts and Craft is my style, although I'm appreciative of the impulse behind it: the attempt of 19thc British artists and craftsmen trying to go back to natural materials and handcraft in the face of industrialization. Many of the pieces were furniture and household items (utensils, drapes, etc), so it was sort of neat to see how people lived.
Unfortunately, we couldn't really take any pictures in the exhibit itself, so what I've shown here are from the general collection. While I'm glad I went to this exhibit, I thought it was okay. I don't think Arts and Craft is my style, although I'm appreciative of the impulse behind it: the attempt of 19thc British artists and craftsmen trying to go back to natural materials and handcraft in the face of industrialization. Many of the pieces were furniture and household items (utensils, drapes, etc), so it was sort of neat to see how people lived.
After lunch, we breezed through the general collection. Here is Byron deep in thought while contemplating the significance of this abstract painting (translation: both of our reactions were, "What the heck?!").
This is the view from the observation tower of the de Young, which gives you a great view of the SF skyline. I think this was one of the best parts of the museum.


3 Comments:
monet? most definitely!
I think modern artists like to play with people's minds. "I woke up too late today to actually paint anything, so I'm going to submit this blank canvas and say it's a study in nihilism."
i don't like the really modern stuff, but picasso, van gogh, and matisse are pretty cool.
Post a Comment
<< Home