the prestige
I just went to see The Prestige with Felicia. Finally, after our foiled attempt last Friday. Now my mind is abuzz, trying to think through its complexities, for it is a truly complex film, both in terms of plot and its narration. Lots of layers of narrative--flashbacks, diaries, notes, puzzles. It was hard sometimes figuring out the temporality of the film--are we in a flashback or the flashback in a flashback or in the narrative proper? Somewhat confusing.
I guess the reason why I am so preoccupied with the film is because it's so Victorian--it's preoccupied with many prevalent 19c themes (namely, the mystery of identity and the basis on which it is established) and also employs many 19c narrative techniques (Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White comes to mind), unfolding like a sensation novel. Secrets, illusions, appearances, the fantasy of doubling...all themes very close to my heart right now as I struggle to figure out and write my next chapter on Dickens, which is concerned with similar ideas.
I guess the reason why I am so preoccupied with the film is because it's so Victorian--it's preoccupied with many prevalent 19c themes (namely, the mystery of identity and the basis on which it is established) and also employs many 19c narrative techniques (Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White comes to mind), unfolding like a sensation novel. Secrets, illusions, appearances, the fantasy of doubling...all themes very close to my heart right now as I struggle to figure out and write my next chapter on Dickens, which is concerned with similar ideas.

1 Comments:
Ooooo...sounds cool. It's on my Netflix queue.
Post a Comment
<< Home